From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: sys-libs/-MERGING-pam
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 00:34:34
1 On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 4:55 PM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 16:01:09 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
3 >
4 > > Unless someone comes up with some addition info on things I should do
5 > > to clean this up more completely I figure I got a little bit of
6 > > education which is cool.
7 >
8 > There was a post to this list explaining this not long ago. AFAIR, the
9 > MERGING entries in /var/db/pkg are created while emerge is copying the
10 > files from the temporary build location to the live filesystem. If they
11 > are still there, it means that the merge was aborted, perhaps by a crash
12 > or flat battery, at a potentially critical point. While it should be safe
13 > to remove these, you should re-emerge the package to make sure your
14 > installation is consistent.
17 > --
18 > Neil Bothwick
19
20 Thanks Neil. Makes perfect sense and since the -MERGING directory was
21 for an older version and I now have a newer version installed I think
22 I'm in good shape.
23
24 Thanks again for the input.
25