From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: sys-libs/-MERGING-pam
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 23:55:55
1 On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 16:01:09 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
2
3 > Unless someone comes up with some addition info on things I should do
4 > to clean this up more completely I figure I got a little bit of
5 > education which is cool.
6
7 There was a post to this list explaining this not long ago. AFAIR, the
8 MERGING entries in /var/db/pkg are created while emerge is copying the
9 files from the temporary build location to the live filesystem. If they
10 are still there, it means that the merge was aborted, perhaps by a crash
11 or flat battery, at a potentially critical point. While it should be safe
12 to remove these, you should re-emerge the package to make sure your
13 installation is consistent.
17 Neil Bothwick
18
19 The three Rs of Microsoft support: Retry, Reboot, Reinstall.