From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: sys-libs/-MERGING-pam
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 23:01:11
1 On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 8:54 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 6:02 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > <SNIP>
6 > > gandalf ~ # slocate MERGING-pam
7 > > /var/db/pkg/sys-libs/-MERGING-pam-0.99.8.1-r1
8 > > gandalf ~ #
11 > I'm never taken the time to understand exactly how portage keeps track
12 > of what is on a system so I'm now curious what represents an
13 > 'installed' package. Is it simply that there is a directory located
14 > under /var/db/pkg?
15 >
16 > Can I safely remove this directory? As a test I moved it elsewhere and
17 > now eix-test-obsolete doesn't complain. I presume at this point I can
18 > delete it. there's nothing in the directory as best I can tell and the
19 > version number does not match the version of pam currently install.
20 >
21 > Thanks in advance,
22 > Mark
25 So, finishing this topic off on my own for now this Gentoo doc:
26
27 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?full=1
28
29 states the following:
30
31 <QUOTE>
32 Portage Database
33
34 Portage stores the state of your system (what packages are installed,
35 what files belong to which package, ...) in /var/db/pkg. Do not alter
36 these files manually! It might break Portage's knowledge of your
37 system.
38 </QUOTE>
39
40 So, reading between the lines, it seems that if someone knows wht they
41 are doing then they can change files in this directory. In my case the
42 -MERGING directory had no files in it and didn't match the installed
43 version of pam. I removed it and now eix-test-obsolete is happy.
44
45 Unless someone comes up with some addition info on things I should do
46 to clean this up more completely I figure I got a little bit of
47 education which is cool.
48
49 Sorry for the noise,
50 Mark