From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] making bootable USB
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2014 09:58:38
1 On Mon, 01 Sep 2014 19:42:04 +1000, wraeth wrote:
2
3 > > The ISO image has to be created as a "hybrid" image for this to
4 > > work.
5 >
6 > I'm pretty sure the Gentoo minimal image is - I've been dd'ing the
7 > iso's for quite a while now, and it's always been a simple case of
8 > download, verify, dd.
9 >
10 > Besides, running `fdisk -l /path/to/image.iso` does return a partition
11 > list (of one NTFS/Hidden partition) for me, using a standard unmodified
12 > minimal iso.
13
14 Then it is hybrid.
15
16 > It's certainly worth noting, but in this case, OP is using a minimal
17 > image (install-amd64-minimal-20140828.iso).
18
19 The conversion process is non-destructive, it uses space normally unused
20 on a CD/DVD ISO, so the process is safe on any ISO. I've used it on
21 dozens of ISOs distributed to tens of thousands of users and not had a
22 single complaint yet.
26 Neil Bothwick
27
28 Capt'n! The spellchecker kinna take this abuse!