From: maxim wexler <blissfix@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] grub hell
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 01:21:09
1 > I am not sure if you have tried this or not, but
2 > when you map one drive to
3 > another {say: map (hd0) (hd1)}, you also need to map
4 > the second drive to the
5 > first, instead of leaving it hanging. So, the
6 > complete entry becomes:
7 >
8 > map (hd0) (hd1)
9 > map (hd1) (hd0)
10 >
11 > If this doesn't work you may want to try the hide
12 > command. Hide all the other
13 > bootable partitions but the one you intend to boot:
14 >
15 > unhide (hd1,0)
16 > hide (hd1,0)
17 > rootnoverify (hd1,0)
18 > map (hd0) (hd1) <--These two may or may not be
19 > map (hd1) (hd0) <--needed with un/hide command
20 > makeactive
21 > chainloader +1
22 >
23 > It is also a good idea to only have the bootable
24 > flag set with fdisk on the
25 > WinXP partition (Linux /boot doesn't need it
26 > anyway).
27 >
28 > Finally, you could also try changing the device map
29 > from (hd1) /dev/hdc to
30 > (hd2) /dev/hdc.
31 >
32 > HTH.
33 > --
34 > Regards,
35 > Mick
36 >
37 Thanks for the suggestions, I tried them all, but none
38 of them worked.
39
40 Every attempt at tab completion results in:
41
42 Possible disks are: fd0 fd1 fd2 fd3 fd4 fd5 fd6 fd7
43 hd0
44
45 hd1 just doesn't appear(don't know what all those
46 floppies is about). Any attempt to use it, whether by
47 tab completion or by just entering it at the prompt,
48 results in Error 21: Selected disk does not exist.
49
50 I know the drive is OK cause it boots when the boot
51 order in the BIOS starts with the first drive.
52
53 I think I'll try that old hack where you dd the boot
54 sector to a floppy and copy it to C:\ in Windows. Then
55 you write a .bat file? Details kinda hazy...
56
57 -mw
61 Get easy, one-click access to your favorites.
62 Make Yahoo! your homepage.
63 http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
64 --
65 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list