From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] grub hell
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 16:08:51
1 On Wednesday 14 November 2007, maxim wexler wrote:
2
3 > Thanks for the suggestions, I tried them all, but none
4 > of them worked.
5 >
6 > Every attempt at tab completion results in:
7 >
8 > Possible disks are: fd0 fd1 fd2 fd3 fd4 fd5 fd6 fd7
9 > hd0
10 >
11 > hd1 just doesn't appear(don't know what all those
12 > floppies is about). Any attempt to use it, whether by
13 > tab completion or by just entering it at the prompt,
14 > results in Error 21: Selected disk does not exist.
15
16 Well, you could take turns trying out all these fds.
17
18 > I know the drive is OK cause it boots when the boot
19 > order in the BIOS starts with the first drive.
20
21 Grub *should* be able to see what BIOS sees, but clearly this is not the case
22 here. Have you tried reinstalling Grub in the MBR?
23
24 > I think I'll try that old hack where you dd the boot
25 > sector to a floppy and copy it to C:\ in Windows. Then
26 > you write a .bat file? Details kinda hazy...
27
28 You'll need to reinstall grub for this solution to work, but install it in
29 your Gentoo /boot partition, not the MBR. (I have not tried it with the MBR
30 image, but you could try that too - pls let me know if it works). Then you
31 dd this and copy it into your WinXP partition so that you can chainload it
32 from NTLDR. Finally, you'll have to edit the boot.ini file to point it to
33 the boot image you just copied in your WinXP partition and you should be able
34 to boot it . . . as long as NTLDR can see the drive in question. :p Well,
35 it's worth giving it a shot I guess.
36
37 Good luck.
38 --