From: Hans-Werner Hilse <hilse@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] grub hell
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 18:39:09
1 Hi,
2
3 On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 08:25:50 +0000
4 Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
5
6 > > I know the drive is OK cause it boots when the boot
7 > > order in the BIOS starts with the first drive.
8 >
9 > Grub *should* be able to see what BIOS sees, but clearly this is not the case
10 > here. Have you tried reinstalling Grub in the MBR?
11
12 That most likely won't help since what's installed there only stages
13 the "real" grub binaries which will be most likely the same ones.
14
15 >From what maxim wrote so far it really looks like the BIOS moves the
16 entry for the HD on the first controller "out of sight" somehow. So
17 probably the BIOS feature of booting off the second controller is the
18 problem here. We can't solve this on the level of grub or the OS, so
19 the only option seems to be to properly install grub to the first HD.
20
21 I would start with a grub floppy disk or boot CD(-RW) and look what
22 devices that sees when booting. In order to have grub list disks, you
23 enter "root (" and press TAB. The same goes for partitions after the
24 setting device and a comma (e.g. "(hd0," + TAB).
25
26 If all devices are seen, then set root (as indicated above) to the
27 partition holding the grub stages (i.e. partition of /boot in Gentoo
28 or /lib/grub/i386-pc/). Then have grub write the MBR using
29 "setup (hd0)". Note that this will overwrite the Windows MBR, which
30 will make it unbootable at that point. So better before doing that --
31 from Linux -- backup the MBR:
32 "dd if=/dev/hda of=/backup-mbr-hda bs=512 count=1" so you can write it
33 back later.
34
35 -hwh
36 --