From: maxim wexler <blissfix@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] grub hell
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 21:36:12
1 > the only option seems to be to properly install grub
2 > to the first HD.
3
4 grub-install /dev/hda renders the PC completely
5 unusable
8 > I would start with a grub floppy disk or boot
9 > CD(-RW) and look what
10
11 Both drives are bootable provided I make a detour to
12 the BIOS and change the boot order.
15 > devices that sees when booting. In order to have
16 > grub list disks, you
17
18 dmesg reports ALL drives and appropriate partitions.
19
20 > enter "root (" and press TAB. The same goes for
21 > partitions after the
22 > setting device and a comma (e.g. "(hd0," + TAB).
25 Now this is really wierd. When I'm at the prompt using
26 the grub that appears when the PC boots, ie when the
27 second drive is given preference in BIOS, tab
28 completion reports only a string of fdn's followed by
29 hd0. But, when having booted and logged in, I issue
30 the grub command, tab completion reports possible
31 disks as hd0 and hd1 as it should. And it correctly
32 sees the "unknown" partition on /dev/hda and the four
33 linux partitions on /dev/hdc. But that's with
34 device.map like so: (fd0) /dev/fd0
35 (hd0) /dev/hda
36 (hd2) /dev/hdc
37 ^!?!?
38
39 > If all devices are seen, then set root (as indicated
40 > above) to the
41 > partition holding the grub stages (i.e. partition of
42 > /boot in Gentoo
43 > or /lib/grub/i386-pc/). Then have grub write the MBR
44 > using
45 > "setup (hd0)". Note that this will overwrite the
46 > Windows MBR, which
47 > will make it unbootable at that point. So better
48
49 OK, this throws me. Isn't it supposed to be bootable?
50 As I said above installing grub to Win-mbr renders the
51 PC unusable. Can't recall the precise error message
52 but
53 even the grub prompt isn't available.
54
55 > before doing that --
56 > from Linux -- backup the MBR:
57 > "dd if=/dev/hda of=/backup-mbr-hda bs=512 count=1"
58 > so you can write it
59 > back later.
60
61 Thanks for the tip, a lot simpler than booting into
62 Win98 and running A:\fdisk /mbr.
63
64 There's more...
65
66 I followed the instructions here:
67
68 http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Dual_Boot_from_Windows_Bootloader_(NTLDR)_and_why
69
70 And, provided I'm booting from /dev/hda, I'm presented
71 with two choices, Gentoo and XP. XP boots OK but
72 gentoo halts at:
73
74 GRUB Loading stage1.5
75
76 GRUB loading, please wait...
77 Error 21
78
79 even though the boot routine is identical to the one
80 that WORKS when the second drive is given boot
81 preference.
82
83 -mw
87 Be a better sports nut! Let your teams follow you
88 with Yahoo Mobile. Try it now. http://mobile.yahoo.com/sports;_ylt=At9_qDKvtAbMuh1G1SQtBI7ntAcJ
89 --
90 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list