From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] grub hell
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 20:21:16
1 On Wednesday 14 November 2007, Hans-Werner Hilse wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 08:25:50 +0000
5 >
6 > Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
7 > > > I know the drive is OK cause it boots when the boot
8 > > > order in the BIOS starts with the first drive.
9 > >
10 > > Grub *should* be able to see what BIOS sees, but clearly this is not the
11 > > case here. Have you tried reinstalling Grub in the MBR?
12 >
13 > That most likely won't help since what's installed there only stages
14 > the "real" grub binaries which will be most likely the same ones.
15
16 Sure, unless something is corrupted in the Grub stages files? I wasn't sure
17 on the circumstances under which the IDE controller in question was fried.
18
19 > From what maxim wrote so far it really looks like the BIOS moves the
20 > entry for the HD on the first controller "out of sight" somehow.
21
22 Are BIOS' that 'intelligent' these days?
23
24 > So
25 > probably the BIOS feature of booting off the second controller is the
26 > problem here. We can't solve this on the level of grub or the OS, so
27 > the only option seems to be to properly install grub to the first HD.
28
29 /The only time that I have experience a similar problem was after a drive
30 ribbon was hot unplugged mid-flight. The controller was not fried, not was
31 the drive, but it took sometime to get it going again. Ultimately an
32 investigation revealed that the jumpers at the back of the drives were not
33 effective (cable select would just not work)./
34
35 > I would start with a grub floppy disk or boot CD(-RW) and look what
36 > devices that sees when booting. In order to have grub list disks, you
37 > enter "root (" and press TAB. The same goes for partitions after the
38 > setting device and a comma (e.g. "(hd0," + TAB).
39 >
40 > If all devices are seen, then set root (as indicated above) to the
41 > partition holding the grub stages (i.e. partition of /boot in Gentoo
42 > or /lib/grub/i386-pc/). Then have grub write the MBR using
43 > "setup (hd0)". Note that this will overwrite the Windows MBR, which
44 > will make it unbootable at that point. So better before doing that --
45 > from Linux -- backup the MBR:
46 > "dd if=/dev/hda of=/backup-mbr-hda bs=512 count=1" so you can write it
47 > back later.
48
49 Alternatively, use a MS Windows installation CD, boot into Recovery Console
50 and run fixmbr on the correct drive. It will reinstall the NTLDR boot code
51 in the MBR and you'll be able to natively boot it again. If you mess up the
52 MS Windows *partition* boot record because instead of hd0 you typed hd0,1
53 then the command you want is fixboot. I just hate reinstalling MS Windows -
54 it feels sort of wasted time! ;-)
55
56 HTH.
57 --