From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Binary packages for a different amd64 flavor
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2018 18:51:37
1 On Tuesday, 12 June 2018 19:31:32 BST Ian Zimmerman wrote:
2 > I have had it with compiling stuff from source on my laptop. It is just
3 > too slow. So I would like to create binary packages on my desktop and
4 > then just tell the laptop to use them.
5 >
6 > Simple enough, except that the desktop is AMD Phenom, and the laptop is
7 > Intel 64 bit Atom. Up to now, each system had unique CFLAGS to squeeze
8 > as much performance as possible.
9 >
10 > On the desktop:
11 > CFLAGS="-march=barcelona --param l1-cache-size=64 --param
12 > l1-cache-line-size=64 --param l2-cache-size=512 -O2 -pipe"
13 >
14 > On the laptop:
15 > CFLAGS="-march=ivybridge --param l1-cache-size=32 --param
16 > l1-cache-line-size=64 --param l2-cache-size=4096 -O2 -pipe"
17 >
18 > I don't want to give up these tunings, but from the wiki page [1] I can
19 > see no straightforward way to have different CFLAGS when compiling binary
20 > packages, from the normal CFLAGS when installing directly from source on
21 > the host system. Is the only way of doing this to set up a full-blown
22 > cross-development environment?
23 >
24 > [1]
25 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Binary_package_guide
26
27 On the desktop you could just use -march=native for its own compiles, not sure
28 if there is a benefit or good reason to use '-march=barcelona', but I'm
29 digressing.
30
31 If you are compiling binary packages for the laptop with a single stanza on
32 the CLI, then you can run:
33
34 CFLAGS="-march=ivybridge ..." CXXFLAGS="-march=ivybridge ..."
35 FEATURES="buildpkg" PKGDIR="/tmp/binpkg_dir emerge -uaNDv --buildpkg world
36
37 I understand you will need the complete CFLAGS & CXXFLAGS for the guest's
38 hardware - others should confirm if this is so.
39
40 I find it neater/easier to copy the guest's fs over to the faster host, then
41 chroot into it, sync portage and emerge with --buildpkg world. There are
42 other solutions, NFS mounts of the guest over the network, using a VM
43 mirroring the laptop build on the host, but they are more complicated for my
44 use case of a single guest.
47 Regards,
48 Mick