From: Ian Zimmerman <itz@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Binary packages for a different amd64 flavor
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2018 18:31:51
1 I have had it with compiling stuff from source on my laptop. It is just
2 too slow. So I would like to create binary packages on my desktop and
3 then just tell the laptop to use them.
4
5 Simple enough, except that the desktop is AMD Phenom, and the laptop is
6 Intel 64 bit Atom. Up to now, each system had unique CFLAGS to squeeze
7 as much performance as possible.
8
9 On the desktop:
10 CFLAGS="-march=barcelona --param l1-cache-size=64 --param
11 l1-cache-line-size=64 --param l2-cache-size=512 -O2 -pipe"
12
13 On the laptop:
14 CFLAGS="-march=ivybridge --param l1-cache-size=32 --param
15 l1-cache-line-size=64 --param l2-cache-size=4096 -O2 -pipe"
16
17 I don't want to give up these tunings, but from the wiki page [1] I can
18 see no straightforward way to have different CFLAGS when compiling binary
19 packages, from the normal CFLAGS when installing directly from source on
20 the host system. Is the only way of doing this to set up a full-blown
21 cross-development environment?
22
23 [1]
24 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Binary_package_guide
27 Please don't Cc: me privately on mailing lists and Usenet,
28 if you also post the followup to the list or newsgroup.
29 To reply privately _only_ on Usenet and on broken lists
30 which rewrite From, fetch the TXT record for no-use.mooo.com.