From: R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Binary packages for a different amd64 flavor
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2018 19:33:16
1 On Tue, Jun 12, 2018 at 1:31 PM, Ian Zimmerman <itz@××××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > I have had it with compiling stuff from source on my laptop. It is just
3 > too slow. So I would like to create binary packages on my desktop and
4 > then just tell the laptop to use them.
5 >
6 > Simple enough, except that the desktop is AMD Phenom, and the laptop is
7 > Intel 64 bit Atom. Up to now, each system had unique CFLAGS to squeeze
8 > as much performance as possible.
9 >
10 > On the desktop:
11 > CFLAGS="-march=barcelona --param l1-cache-size=64 --param
12 > l1-cache-line-size=64 --param l2-cache-size=512 -O2 -pipe"
13 >
14 > On the laptop:
15 > CFLAGS="-march=ivybridge --param l1-cache-size=32 --param
16 > l1-cache-line-size=64 --param l2-cache-size=4096 -O2 -pipe"
17 >
18 > I don't want to give up these tunings, but from the wiki page [1] I can
19 > see no straightforward way to have different CFLAGS when compiling binary
20 > packages, from the normal CFLAGS when installing directly from source on
21 > the host system. Is the only way of doing this to set up a full-blown
22 > cross-development environment?
23 >
24 > [1]
25 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Binary_package_guide
28 Use crossdev to generate an x86_64-pc-linux-gnu (or x86) toolchain.
29 You can specify something in place of "pc" to identify the system and
30 be fairly compliant, or you can invent your own naming and specify the
31 architecture manually. This will create a root in /usr with the name
32 given that will have a make.conf in /usr/${name}/etc/portage and
33 generated packages in /usr/${name}/usr/portage/packages.
34
35 Cheers,
36 R0b0t1