From: 7v5w7go9ub0o <7v5w7go9ub0o@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Updated ebuild; bypassing manifest check
Date: Fri, 02 May 2008 14:43:50
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Friday 02 May 2008, 7v5w7go9ub0o wrote:
3 >> Following the instructions here, I tried to create an updated ebuild
4 >> for mozilla-thunderbird-bin. The newest version is 2.0.0.14; current
5 >> ebuild is 2.0.0.12.
6 >>
7 >> http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Create_an_Updated_Ebuild
8 >>
9 >> Everything worked fine until I tried to update the hashes in the
10 >> manifest,
11 >>
12 >> ebuild
13 >> /usr/local/portage/mail-client/mozilla-thunderbird-bin/mozilla-thunde
14 >> rbird-bin-2.0.0.14.ebuild digest
15 >>
16 >> and it failed, being unable to download the '.14 file from
17 >> Gentoo.something.
18 >>
19 >> Well, this is to be expected, as Gentoo.something doesn't have the
20 >> '.14 file yet; and the ebuild downloads the source code from the
21 >> author's site, not from gentoo.something.
22 >>
23 >> So I ended up running the emerge 3 times, manually tweaking the
24 >> Manifest's hashes with the newer hashes, 'til everything matched, and
25 >> tbird 2.0.0.14 emerged normally.
26 >>
27 >> So the question becomes, is there a way to bypass the manifest check?
28 >> Or alternatively, build the manifest with the correct hashes based
29 >> upon the source code's author's code.
30 >
31 > I think the assumption is that the dev making the ebuild already has the
32 > downloadable files. You have to have them to see how the build works to
33 > be able to write an ebuild that automates it.
34 >
35 > So what I do in these cases is wget all the files manually,
36 > run 'ebuild /path/to/ebuild manifest' and emerge it.
41 YES..... makes sense; and now that you mention it, I recall somewhere
42 seeing someone doing that!
43
44 Thanks!!
45
46 p.s. apologies to the guy maintaining Mozilla. I sent a couple of
47 bugzilla notes about TBird being two releases behind; turns out that
48 there was no release 2.0.0.13 for 'nix - that Portage Tbird ebuild was
49 in fact quite on top of things..
55 apologies again.
60 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list