From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Updated ebuild; bypassing manifest check
Date: Fri, 02 May 2008 07:32:30
1 On Friday 02 May 2008, 7v5w7go9ub0o wrote:
2 > Following the instructions here, I tried to create an updated ebuild
3 > for mozilla-thunderbird-bin. The newest version is 2.0.0.14; current
4 > ebuild is 2.0.0.12.
5 >
6 > http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Create_an_Updated_Ebuild
7 >
8 > Everything worked fine until I tried to update the hashes in the
9 > manifest,
10 >
11 > ebuild
12 > /usr/local/portage/mail-client/mozilla-thunderbird-bin/mozilla-thunde
13 >rbird-bin-2.0.0.14.ebuild digest
14 >
15 > and it failed, being unable to download the '.14 file from
16 > Gentoo.something.
17 >
18 > Well, this is to be expected, as Gentoo.something doesn't have the
19 > '.14 file yet; and the ebuild downloads the source code from the
20 > author's site, not from gentoo.something.
21 >
22 > So I ended up running the emerge 3 times, manually tweaking the
23 > Manifest's hashes with the newer hashes, 'til everything matched, and
24 > tbird 2.0.0.14 emerged normally.
25 >
26 > So the question becomes, is there a way to bypass the manifest check?
27 > Or alternatively, build the manifest with the correct hashes based
28 > upon the source code's author's code.
29
30 I think the assumption is that the dev making the ebuild already has the
31 downloadable files. You have to have them to see how the build works to
32 be able to write an ebuild that automates it.
33
34 So what I do in these cases is wget all the files manually,
35 run 'ebuild /path/to/ebuild manifest' and emerge it.
40 Alan McKinnon
41 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
44 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list