From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Wayland - too early to try?
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2017 08:34:34
1 On Tuesday 11 Jul 2017 23:14:16 Mick wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 12 Jul 2017 01:10:00 Mart Raudsepp wrote:
3 > > > I copied /usr/share/xsessions/enlightenment.desktop to
4 > > > /usr/share/wayland-
5 > > > sessions/ and tried to select it in LightDM. Unfortunately LightDM
6 > > > returns me
7 > > > back to the login page. I don't know if this is a result of LightDM
8 > > > not being
9 > > > compatible with Wayland and friends, or if I need to install some
10 > > > other
11 > > > package in addition to what has been emerged already.
12 > >
13 > > The desktop manager needs to be using wayland to be able to launch
14 > > wayland desktop sessions. LightDM is not such a desktop manager to my
15 > > knowledge and you won't be able to launch any wayland sessions with it.
16 > >
17 > > Mart
18 >
19 > Thanks Mart, what other DM or means do I have to launch enlightenment with
20 > wayland? I'm guessing the time honoured startx from a console won't cut it.
21
22 Oh dear! I noticed this:
23
24 https://git.enlightenment.org/core/enlightenment.git/tree/README.wayland
25
26 which states that efl *must* be built with --enable-systemd option. I am
27 running openrc ... so I don't know if the above just requires this as a build
28 time dependency, or is needs systemd to be running. Anyway, from that write
29 up and the Known Issues at the bottom it seems Wayland is not ready for prime
30 time yet.
31 --
32 Regards,
33 Mick