From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: CF and Gentoo
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 22:05:51
1 On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 18:21:06 +0000 (UTC), James wrote:
2
3 > > Bear in mind the limited write lifetime of flash memory. Don't
4 > > put /var or /tmp on such a card if you can avoid it.
5 >
6 > Well, I'm not sure any other alternatives are attractive? Unless
7 > I find a way to mount those partitions off of a usb stick, or
8 > some other idea?
9 >
10 > Since they are not frequently updated and have minimal installed
11 > software (iptables on firewalls and DNS on DNS servers) accompanied by
12 > the fact that most devices have internal wear leveling; it should take
13 > many years to reach the write cycle limits?
14
15 What about /var/log? The various logfiles are written very frequently.
16 Could you NFS mount this from somewhere else? I wouldn't rely on wear
17 levelling in a CF card, only on an SSDdrive.
18
19 > > http://linitx.com/viewproduct.php?prodid=10448
20 >
21 > very cool! exactly what I could not find.
22
23 I used one of their adaptors to run a MythTV frontend from CF, although
24 it netboots now. I used a variation on a live CD setup, so the card was
25 not written to.
26
27 > > You could dd the card to a file and use the same file every time you
28 > > need a new card.
29 >
30 > Um I do not mean to be a pain, but could you provide a little bit
31 > of pseudo-syntax? Assume I have shutdown a 4 GB CF firewall card
32 > and moved it to a reader/writer on another machine. First I need
33 > to format the raw (new) 4GB CF card from a reader.
34 >
35 > /media/sdb1 shows up, but when I run 'fdisk /media/sdb1' I get:
36 >
37 > last_lba(): I don't know how to handle files with mode 40755
38 > You will not be able to write the partition table.
39
40 /media/sdb1 is the mount point, not the device node. Use
41
42 dd if=/dev/sdb of=CF.img bs=4096
43
44 to read the card, switch of and if to write a new one. Of course, all the
45 cards have to be the same size.
46
47 > In the past I have formated the CF cards on the new machine being built,
48 > but I need help figuring out how to do this, from a CF reader/writer
49 > on another machine (thus avoiding a traditional install) ?
50
51 You don't need to format at all if you dd the whole drive, as that
52 includes the partition table, MBR and the kitchen sink.
56 Neil Bothwick
57
58 Rude alert, rude alert! A fire has knocked out my voice recognition
59 unicycle. Many wurlitzers are missing from my database. Abandon shop,
60 abandon shop! This is not a daffodil, repeat, this is not a daffodil!