From: Philip Webb <purslow@×××××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: net-setup package
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 18:39:21
1 080423 Net Warrior wrote:
2 > Gentoo seems to be (my first 24 hours) a very robust system
3
4 Yes, it is very reliable & this list is usually helpful.
5
6 > tried ubuntu, a mess
7
8 That was my own reaction on the 1 occasion I tried it (smile).
9
10 > I come from a freebsd land and gentoo has all I have in freebsd,
11 > portage is what I like most, the way to be upto date with ports,
12 > emerge does a good job, like portsnap/pkg_tools does for freebsd.
13
14 IIRC Gentoo was based on FreeBSD, though it has developed a lot since.
15
16 > The only thing I found weird is the installation,
17 > the need to do all the stuff by hand,
18 > just a basic install like bsd does ( 100 MB )
19 > and then install the rest fro the network would be nice,
20 > I'm too lazy to do paritioning/swap/choot
21
22 Think of it as like joining the Freemasons:
23 the trial-by-fire of installing Gentoo keeps out the unfit (grin).
24 I made 5 pp of notes when installing on my newly-built box 2007-10-xx ,
25 but now everything is working even better than after my 1st install 2003 .
29 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb : purslow@××××××××××××××.ca
30 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Centre for Urban & Community Studies
31 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' University of Toronto
32 --
33 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list