From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to dump kde gracefully in favor of lxde
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2017 03:06:37
1 On Sat, Feb 18, 2017 at 04:57:52PM -0500, Harry Putnam wrote
2
3 > Any advice about slick ways of getting fully updated but dumping kde
4 > on the way.
5
6 *IMPORTANT* KDE is obscene about dependancies. E.g. when a
7 lightweight pdf-reader was phased out, I looked at various options
8 including okular. It's an "itty-bitty-little-applet"... that seems to
9 pull in 90% of KDE as dependancies. If you want to get rid of KDE, you
10 must be prepared to dump every last little KDE app/applet. It's an
11 all-or-nothing situation. Sorry.
12
13 1) "eselect profile list" and switch to a basic non-KDE profile of your
14 choice.
15
16 2) "emerge gentoolkit" if not already present.
17
18 3) "cat /var/lib/portage/world" and see what KDE stuff you have.
19
20 4) Unmerge (i.e. "emerge --unmerge) obvious KDE-related stuff that you
21 find in world.
22
23 5) "emerge --depclean" (May not help if you've done "emerge --sync" and
24 not fully updated).
25
26 The next 3 steps are going to be repeated several times
27
28 6) "emerge -pv --changed-use --deep --update @world"
29
30 7) You'll probably see portage try to pull KDE back in. For each lib
31 "fu-bar/foobar" that portage tries to pull in do "equery d fu-bar/foobar"
32 and manually unmerge whatever it finds. (Note: gentoolkit provides the
33 equery tool).
34
35 8) GOTO 6 (until portage stops trying to pull in KDE stuff).
38 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
39 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications