From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] dd'ing small drive to large one
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 18:13:20
1 Hi there!
2
3 There is a PC with a 160 GB SATA drive, and I want to replace it with one of
4 about 1 TB in size. Would this work?
5
6 - attach 2nd drive via SATA port or USB->SATA convertor
7 - boot from rescue CD
8 - dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb
9 - remove sda, attach sdb to where sda was
10 - reboot
11 - add other partitions or enlarge the last one
12
13 I do not expect problems, but I'm not entirely sure. Maybe the different
14 drive geometry would have an effect on file system or at least to the Grub
15 boot loader?
16
17 The system is remote, so I will not do the exchange personally. I will only
18 make the additional space usable once the system is back up and running. The
19 person who does the replacement does not know too much about LVM and file
20 systems, and how to make a Gentoo system work again if the boot partition
21 got corrupted. He will use Norton Ghost to duplicate the drive's contents. I
22 would prefer dd, but the person is a Windows guy, and Ghost will probably do
23 the job as well.
24
25 Wonko