From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] did python-r1 improve user experience?
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2013 14:01:35
1 On 01/11/2013 15:41, gottlieb@×××.edu wrote:
2 > On Thu, Oct 31 2013, gottlieb@×××.edu wrote:
3 >
4 >> On Sun, Oct 27 2013, Mike Gilbert wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> Making things "just work" is complex when trying to juggle 6 or more
7 >>> supported versions/implementations of python.
8 >>
9 >> Indeed.
10 >>
11 >>> We have tried to explain the magic make.conf lines in the Python user guide.
12 >>>
13 >>> https://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/Python/python-r1/user-guide.xml
14 >>>
15 >>> We also try to make sure that most users never have to touch
16 >>> PYTHON_TARGETS, etc; the default values provided by your profile are
17 >>> set up to allow *stable* python2.7 and python3.2 to work properly.
18 >>
19 >>> ~arch users are expected to read the docs. ^_^
20 >>
21 >> I am a ~amd64 user and I just read the user-guide. :-)
22 >> I do not see any action items for my system; but do see a large number
23 >> of reinstalls proposed by emerge
24 >>
25 >> I do not change any python variables in make.conf so emerge --info shows
26 >> PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python2_7"
27 >> PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_2"
28 >>
29 >> a recursive grep -i for python in /etc/portage yields only
30 >> ./package.use/imaging-pillow:5:virtual/python-imaging -python_targets_python3_2
31 >>
32 >> So I basically have the default except for the imaging/pillow business.
33 >>
34 >> I note that update world wants to rebuild a bunch of packages (the
35 >> entire output is below). Some are qt-related others involve
36 >> PYTHON_TARGETS.
37 >>
38 >> Does this mean that I can let the 44 packages / 38 reinstalls update occur
39 >> and expect a running system to result? It is unusual, but I realize not
40 >> unprecedented, to have so many reinstalls and I would like to confirm
41 >> that this is expected.
42 >>
43 >> thanks,
44 >> allan
45 >
46 > I realize that I forgot to attach the list of packages emerge wants to
47 > reinstall. So I did the same emerge command (I always use --ask) and
48 > they are *gone*. This I don't understand since I didn't sync inbetween
49 > (ls -lt /usr/portage shows nothing since wednesday).
50 >
51 > I though all dependencies, etc are resolved locally so why would it
52 > change from 44 packages with 38 reinstalls to 4 packages with no
53 > reinstalls?
56 Did you make any changes to make.conf between your previous mail and
57 doing this last test?
62 Alan McKinnon
63 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com