From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Firefox and kernel panics.
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2011 02:08:09
1 On Sun, Jul 10, 2011 at 5:27 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 >>
4 >> On Sun, 10 Jul 2011 14:42:50 -0500, Dale wrote:
7 >>>
8 >>> Yea, done tried that.  I tried different kernels, different nvidia
9 >>> drivers and all with no change.
10 >>>
11 >>
12 >> WAG - have you tried the nv drivers?
17 > I did but I couldn't get X to even start.  I guess something is not set
18 > right somewhere.  I have nv in make.conf and been there since I built this
19 > thing so sort of clueless on why it don't work.
20 >
21 > Maybe it's because I don't use the latest greatest cards but I don't think I
22 > have ever really had trouble with nvidia drivers.  Surely it can't be good
23 > luck.  ;-)
24 >
25 > While I am at it, what is the syntax to mask a package higher than a certain
26 > version in package.mask?  I tired =>package.name.version and tried >=
27 > package.name.version but the former doesn't work and seems to ignore it and
28 > the later makes emerge print a boo boo message.  On my old rig, I want to
29 > mask anything above the 173 series.   So far, I haven't had the light bulb
30 > moment and never can remember how to do this.
31 >
32 > Thanks.
33 >
34 > Dale
35
36 May I ask exactly what NVidia card you are using and why you are using
37 (if I understood you correctly) the nv driver and not the nvidia
38 driver?
39
40 This page at NVidia will point you at the right driver. I've got a
41 little bit of every NVidia technology here and they haven't treated me
42 wrong yet.
43
44 http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us
45
46 My make.conf files all say
47
48 VIDEO_CARDS="nvidia"
49
50 and then I typically use the beta driver ala:
51
52 mark@slinky ~ $ cat /etc/portage/package.keywords | grep nvidia
53 x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers ~amd64
54 dev-util/nvidia-cuda-toolkit ~amd64
55 dev-util/nvidia-cuda-sdk ~amd64
56 mark@slinky ~ $
57
58 You won't need the CUDAstuff.
59
60 It's always the NVidia driver in /etc/X11/xorg.conf, not the older nv driver:
61
62 mark@slinky ~ $ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf | grep nvidia
63 Driver "nvidia"
64 mark@slinky ~ $