From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What is a "packet"? Was: Checksum error
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2009 21:19:09
1 On Sunday 11 October 2009 19:02:07 Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Sunday 11 October 2009 15:55:47 Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 > > Well, at least now we know that English contains at least one word that
4 > > is less ambiguous than the German equivalent.
5 > >
6 > > I would not have thought it could be done.
7 >
8 > English contains many ambiguities, but if you know the current idiom they
9 > all disappear, or at least recede. The difficulty is in keeping up with
10 > the idiom. Personally, I prefer to rely on what I've known for the last 60
11 > years or so and to hell with the trendies.
12 >
13 > Things like "its" = "belonging to it"; "it's" = "it is".
16 English is a mess. As a language it's worse than a pig's breakfast and makes
17 almost no sense whatsoever to non-native speakers. Mind you, it makes about as
18 much sense to native speakers as well :-) I had to take 5 years of Latin study
19 in high school to understand how my own mother tongue works. Sad indictment
20 for a language wouldn't you say?
21
22 I heard once that Perl is modelled after English. Pah! I reckon that's BS -
23 Perl makes much too much sense for that. Brainfuck is the one modelled after
24 English :-)
27 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com