From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Securely deletion of an HDD
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2015 13:01:30
1 On Sunday 12 Jul 2015 13:35:25 Marc Joliet wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I have to failed drives that I want to give away for recycling purposes,
5 > but want to be sure to properly clear them first. They used be part of a
6 > btrfs RAID10 array, but needed to be replaced (with "btrfs replace"). (In
7 > the meantime I converted the array to RAID1 with only two drives.)
8 >
9 > My question is how precisely the disks should be cleared. From various
10 > sources I know that overwriting them with random data a few times is
11 > enough to render old versions of data unreadable. I'm guessing 3 times
12 > ought to be enough, but maybe even that small amount is overly paranoid
13 > these days?
14 >
15 > As to the actual command, I would suspect something like "dd
16 > if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/sdx bs=4096" should suffice, and according to
17 > https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Random_number_generation#.2Fdev.2Furan
18 > dom, /dev/urandom ought to be random enough for this task. Or are cat/cp
19 > that much faster?
20 >
21 > Any thoughts?
22 >
23 > Greetings
24
25 I use urandom a couple of times (3 to 5), because random takes too long and I
26 don't store state secrets on my disks. Then I dd onto it a final round of
27 /dev/zero. Finally, run hdparm to securely erase it for good measure.[1] All
28 of this could be an overkill, but do it out of habit these days.
29
30 It is worth saying that I use haveged to increase entropy:
31
32 [I] sys-apps/haveged
33 Available versions:
34 1.5
35 ~ 1.7a
36 1.7a-r1
37 ~ 1.9.1
38 Installed versions: 1.7a-r1(12:46:23 04/21/14)
39 Homepage: http://www.issihosts.com/haveged/
42 I should clarify that disks which contained financial data are dealth with a
43 high speed angle grinder, after I remove the outer casing of the drive and don
44 a pair of goggles.[2] *Only then* do I recycle the bits left. ;-)
47 [1] https://ata.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/ATA_Secure_Erase
48
49 [2] You can also use a hammer, a drill, or any similar implement which will
50 completely break the physical disk platters to bits.
53 Regards,
54 Mick