From: Francisco Ares <frares@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Securely deletion of an HDD
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2015 13:22:47
1 Em 12/07/2015 10:03, "Mick" <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> escreveu:
2 >
3 > On Sunday 12 Jul 2015 13:35:25 Marc Joliet wrote:
4 > > Hi,
5 > >
6 > > I have to failed drives that I want to give away for recycling purposes,
7 > > but want to be sure to properly clear them first. They used be part of
8 a
9 > > btrfs RAID10 array, but needed to be replaced (with "btrfs replace").
10 (In
11 > > the meantime I converted the array to RAID1 with only two drives.)
12 > >
13 > > My question is how precisely the disks should be cleared. From various
14 > > sources I know that overwriting them with random data a few times is
15 > > enough to render old versions of data unreadable. I'm guessing 3 times
16 > > ought to be enough, but maybe even that small amount is overly paranoid
17 > > these days?
18 > >
19 > > As to the actual command, I would suspect something like "dd
20 > > if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/sdx bs=4096" should suffice, and according to
21 > >
22 https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Random_number_generation#.2Fdev.2Furan
23 > > dom, /dev/urandom ought to be random enough for this task. Or are
24 cat/cp
25 > > that much faster?
26 > >
27 > > Any thoughts?
28 > >
29 > > Greetings
30 >
31 > I use urandom a couple of times (3 to 5), because random takes too long
32 and I
33 > don't store state secrets on my disks. Then I dd onto it a final round of
34 > /dev/zero. Finally, run hdparm to securely erase it for good
35 measure.[1] All
36 > of this could be an overkill, but do it out of habit these days.
37 >
38 > It is worth saying that I use haveged to increase entropy:
39 >
40 > [I] sys-apps/haveged
41 > Available versions:
42 > 1.5
43 > ~ 1.7a
44 > 1.7a-r1
45 > ~ 1.9.1
46 > Installed versions: 1.7a-r1(12:46:23 04/21/14)
47 > Homepage: http://www.issihosts.com/haveged/
49 algorithm
50 >
51 > I should clarify that disks which contained financial data are dealth
52 with a
53 > high speed angle grinder, after I remove the outer casing of the drive
54 and don
55 > a pair of goggles.[2] *Only then* do I recycle the bits left. ;-)
58 > [1] https://ata.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/ATA_Secure_Erase
59 >
60 > [2] You can also use a hammer, a drill, or any similar implement which
61 will
62 > completely break the physical disk platters to bits.
63 >
64 > --
65 > Regards,
66 > Mick
67
68 A physical damage is what I guess be the best choice for sensitive data.
69
70 I use to disassemble the HDD and rub a strong magnet over the disks'
71 surfaces.
72
73 Just my 2c.
74