From: Alexander Kapshuk <alexander.kapshuk@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] re: setting up binhost [SOLVED]
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2014 20:34:17
1 On 01/19/2014 10:28 PM, Thanasis wrote:
2 > on 19/01/2014 09:38 μμ Alexander Kapshuk wrote the following:
3 >> -------- Original Message --------
4 >> Subject: re: setting up binhost
5 >> Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2014 18:45:03 +0200
6 >> From: Alexander Kapshuk <alexander.kapshuk@×××××.com>
7 >> To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
11 >> I would like to set up one of my Gentoo systems as a binary host to
12 >> build and distribute packages that normally take longer to compile, like
13 >> libreoffice, firefox and thuderbird, to another Gentoo system of mine
14 >> with less RAM.
15 >>
16 >> I've been following the instructions found here,
17 >> http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Binary_package_guide.
18 > In the above guide, did you pay attention to the following section?
19 >
20 > Other configuration variables
21 >
22 > For binary packages to be usable on other systems they must fulfill some
23 > requirements.
24 >
25 > First, architecture and CHOST must match.
26 > Second, the C(XX)FLAGS have to be chosen in a way that both the
27 > binary package server and the client systems can run the binaries.
28 > Third, USE flags for processor specific features like MMX, SSE,...
29 > have to be chosen in a way that all systems have the enabled features,
30 > or the packages using these features have to be rebuilt on the client
31 > systems from source.
35 Thanks for your response.
36
37 Both, the binhost and the client system have the variables you mentioned
38 matching.
39
40 I've test run thunderbird on the client system. So far, it seems to be
41 functioning all right.
42
43 Thanks.