From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Installing specific layman packages & eix-test-obsolete
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2012 22:56:24
1 On Tue, 11 Dec 2012 14:32:01 -0800, Grant wrote:
2
3 > > This is against the idea of an overlay: If you want only cerain
4 > > packages copy them into your local overlay and do not add the whole
5 > > overlay to portage. (But you might get troubles if you do not use
6 > > eclasses or other ebuilds from the overlay which might contain
7 > > corresponding patches).
8 >
9 > Surely you can see the value in finding an ebuild for a package you like
10 > that isn't in portage, adding the overlay associated with that ebuild
11 > via layman, somehow specifying that you only want that package from the
12 > overlay, and running 'layman -S' to stay on top of version bumps. If I
13 > understand your suggestion correctly, it would involve manually checking
14 > for version bumps and recopying them into the local overlay. That
15 > doesn't seem very Gentoo.
16
17 Agreed. I may not want to add the whole overlay. That's fine for things
18 like the kde or vmware overlays that have a specific focus, but sometimes
19 I find a package I want isn't in portage but is in an overlay, but adding
20 that overlay pulls in all sorts of other packages, sometimes beta or
21 unstable versions.
22
23 However, the idea of setting overlay order sounds interesting as it would
24 at least solve part of the problem. For now, symlinking rather than
25 copying, which I tried before, at least keeps things up to date.
29 Neil Bothwick
30
31 Snacktrek, n.:
32 The peculiar habit, when searching for a snack, of constantly
33 returning to the refrigerator in hopes that something new will have
34 materialized.