From: Thomas Balthazar <thomas.tmp@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] MySQL5 and Innodb not working
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 09:16:07
1 Hello,
2
3 Thanks for your answer!
4 I've re-formatted the whole server and I'm re-installing Gentoo 32 bits
5 instead of 64 bits.
6 I want to see if I face the same problem.
7 I'll keep you posted.
8
9 Regards,
10 Thomas.
11
12 On 1/18/07, kashani <kashani-list@××××××××.net> wrote:
13 >
14 > Thomas Balthazar wrote:
15 > > Hello,
16 > >
17 > > I'm using Gentoo Base System version 1.6.14 on a x86_64 Intel(R)
18 > > Celeron(R) CPU 2.66GHz.
19 > > I've added "dev-db/mysql innodb berkdb" to my package.use then I've run
20 > > emerge -1 dev-db/mysql.
21 > >
22 > > I've installed PHPMyAdmin that is up and running (MySQL 5.0.26).
23 > > When I try to create a Innodb table, I get an error :
24 > > #2013 - Lost connection to MySQL server during query
25 > >
26 > > After that, I cannot stop or start my MySQL server.
27 > > Everything seems to be corrupted, and all I can do is to erase all the
28 > > content of /var/lib/mysql and restart from scratch.
29 > >
30 > > Has anyone heard of problems with MySQL/InnoDB/Gentoo?
31 > >
32 > > Any help would be much appreciated!
33 > > Thanks in advance,
34 > > Thomas.
35 >
36 > Couple of things on this.
37 >
38 > This whole community vs enterprise is making things a bit weird at
39 > the
40 > moment for ebuilds. For Innodb I highly recommend going with the
41 > enterprise build, dev-db/mysql which you've already installed, and using
42 > the ~arch version of 5.0.32. It fixes a number of high concurrency/multi
43 > thread issues in Innodb and I'd move to it sooner rather than later.
44 >
45 > Have you modified your my.cnf at all? The default Innodb settings
46 > are
47 > TINY. Assuming you have at least a 1 GB of RAM in you machine I'd bump
48 > the following setting up so that you can fit real tables into Innodb.
49 >
50 > #innodb_buffer_pool_size = 16M
51 > innodb_buffer_pool_size = 128M
52 >
53 > Innodb buffers and general Mysql buffers like key, sort, etc are
54 > managed separately. If you're starting to migrate things into Innodb
55 > from Myisam you might need to decrease some of the current buffers if
56 > you've got limit RAM.
57 >
58 > The Gentoo Mysql startup script is a bit retarded when starting
59 > Mysql
60 > with Innodb tables turned on the first time, at least with large tables
61 > and log files. I use two 512M log files in production and the startup
62 > script fails though Mysql is actually running, it's just pausing to
63 > write the log files and initial ibdata files out. In your case I'd start
64 > and stop Mysql a few times before trying to create an Innodb table just
65 > to be sure that Mysql is finished with all the file writes.
66 >
67 > I suspect the issues is Innodb not having enough memory assigned to it
68 > rather than the binary being borked. You might also try creating a
69 > simpler table in Innodb and see if you have the same issues.
70 >
71 > I'd also recommend adding the setting, innodb_file_per_table, so that
72 > each table gets it's own ibdata file in the form of
73 > lib/mysql/$db/$table.idb. It performs better and it is a bit easier to
74 > tell how big your db is on disk or which db is using all your disk.
75 >
76 > kashani
77 > --
78 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list