From: kashani <kashani-list@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] MySQL5 and Innodb not working
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 23:37:17
1 Thomas Balthazar wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > I'm using Gentoo Base System version 1.6.14 on a x86_64 Intel(R)
5 > Celeron(R) CPU 2.66GHz.
6 > I've added "dev-db/mysql innodb berkdb" to my package.use then I've run
7 > emerge -1 dev-db/mysql.
8 >
9 > I've installed PHPMyAdmin that is up and running (MySQL 5.0.26).
10 > When I try to create a Innodb table, I get an error :
11 > #2013 - Lost connection to MySQL server during query
12 >
13 > After that, I cannot stop or start my MySQL server.
14 > Everything seems to be corrupted, and all I can do is to erase all the
15 > content of /var/lib/mysql and restart from scratch.
16 >
17 > Has anyone heard of problems with MySQL/InnoDB/Gentoo?
18 >
19 > Any help would be much appreciated!
20 > Thanks in advance,
21 > Thomas.
22
23 Couple of things on this.
24
25 This whole community vs enterprise is making things a bit weird at the
26 moment for ebuilds. For Innodb I highly recommend going with the
27 enterprise build, dev-db/mysql which you've already installed, and using
28 the ~arch version of 5.0.32. It fixes a number of high concurrency/multi
29 thread issues in Innodb and I'd move to it sooner rather than later.
30
31 Have you modified your my.cnf at all? The default Innodb settings are
32 TINY. Assuming you have at least a 1 GB of RAM in you machine I'd bump
33 the following setting up so that you can fit real tables into Innodb.
34
35 #innodb_buffer_pool_size = 16M
36 innodb_buffer_pool_size = 128M
37
38 Innodb buffers and general Mysql buffers like key, sort, etc are
39 managed separately. If you're starting to migrate things into Innodb
40 from Myisam you might need to decrease some of the current buffers if
41 you've got limit RAM.
42
43 The Gentoo Mysql startup script is a bit retarded when starting Mysql
44 with Innodb tables turned on the first time, at least with large tables
45 and log files. I use two 512M log files in production and the startup
46 script fails though Mysql is actually running, it's just pausing to
47 write the log files and initial ibdata files out. In your case I'd start
48 and stop Mysql a few times before trying to create an Innodb table just
49 to be sure that Mysql is finished with all the file writes.
50
51 I suspect the issues is Innodb not having enough memory assigned to it
52 rather than the binary being borked. You might also try creating a
53 simpler table in Innodb and see if you have the same issues.
54
55 I'd also recommend adding the setting, innodb_file_per_table, so that
56 each table gets it's own ibdata file in the form of
57 lib/mysql/$db/$table.idb. It performs better and it is a bit easier to
58 tell how big your db is on disk or which db is using all your disk.
59
60 kashani
61 --
62 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list