From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: !! SOLVED !! Re: [gentoo-user] New monitor problems. < sighs>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 14:19:21
1 J. Roeleveld wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 15 December 2010 08:26:11 Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> J. Roeleveld wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> On Wednesday 15 December 2010 13:37:33 Dale wrote:
7 >>>
8 >>>> J. Roeleveld wrote:
9 >>>>
10 > <snipped>
13 >>> Am glad you got it working. Enjoy the new machine :)
14 >>>
15 >>> --
16 >>> Joost
17 >>>
18 >> I went back and looked at the nvidia driver guide on gentoo.org. There
19 >> is no mention of nvidia needing that. Should I tell the doc team so
20 >> they can mention that for others or is my machine a little unique?
21 >> Since someone else ran into it on the link you posted, it may be
22 >> something that at least needs a mention even tho it is not nvidia specific.
23 >>
24 >> Thoughts?
25 >>
26 > Might be usefull to have it in the docs, but I think, as it is something other
27 > software requires as well, it might be an idea to stick it in the install-
28 > guide and in the ebuild-notes as well?
29 >
30 > Am wondering, isn't it in the X11 documents on the site yet?
34 I'll post it on gentoo-doc and see what they say.
37 >> I like this thing. The rig is super fast and the monitor is really
38 >> nice. These bad eyes can read this better.
39 >>
40 > I've got the same CPU as you have, actually, just on an older mainboard.
41 > When I bought mine, I did stock it full with the max memory the board can take
42 > (8 gig).
43 >
44 > Not sure how much memory you have, but a 6Gig ramdisk mounted at
45 > /var/tmp/portage is sufficient to compile openoffice. That speeds things up even
46 > more ;)
47 >
48 > --
49 > Joost
53 Mine maxes out at 16Gbs. I have a single 4Gb stick in it right now. I
54 plan to add a stick every few months until I get it full. Then I will
55 have plenty of room to put portage on the ramdisk like you. It should
56 be pretty fast then. I rarely use more than 1Gb tho. Even then, I have
57 a lot of images open in Gimp or something to use that much.
58
59 Now that my rig is fixed, I'm going to take a nap. I'm beat.
60
61 Dale
62