From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Hard drives not detected in repeatable order.
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2011 03:16:54
1 Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > On Mon, Oct 03, 2011 at 12:03:47PM -0700, Canek Pel??ez Vald??s wrote
3 >
4 >> They have the advantage over UUID's in that you can set them and
5 >> therefore can be human readable. Also, if you use a desktop
6 >> environment, they look nice in file managers.
7 > I assume that name clashes can be avoided by using hostname-label. My
8 > question is... are there any circumstances where you can use UUIDs but
9 > not labels, or visa versa? If so, I'd prefer to go with the more robust
10 > option from day 1, rather than switch later.
13 From what I know, they both seem to travel well. If you remove a drive
14 and take it to another system, the UUID and LABELS will go with it.
15 LABELS can be shorter and easier on the human to read tho. I see that
16 as a positive that UUID doesn't have.
17
18 Dale
19