From: Matthew Finkel <Matthew.finkel@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is Qemu dead?
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2011 14:34:17
1 On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 10:14 AM, Grant Edwards
2 <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>wrote:
3
4 > I've been trying to use Qemu to do some test installs of Ubuntu
5 > server. I've used Qemu successfully in the past, but it seems to have
6 > hit a dead end. The "stable" version (0.11) of Qemu just plain
7 > doesn't work. There are constant segfaults and kernel panics in the
8 > guest environment.
9 >
10 > I updated to the ~x86 version (0.14) -- while the guest OS installs
11 > and runs OK, kernel acceleration (kqemu module) is no longer
12 > supported, and without it Qemu is really slow.
13 >
14 > For now I've switched to VirtualBox, but the console implementation in
15 > VirtualBox is nightmarishly slow. When I do -l looks like it's
16 > scrolling by at about 9600 baud.
17 >
18 > Is Qemu dead? Or just dying?
19 >
20 > --
21 > Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! What UNIVERSE is
22 > this,
23 > at please??
24 > gmail.com
28 I've been using QEMU on, nearly, a daily basis for the last few months. Last
29 I checked, I believe they're on track for a v1.0 release in November or
30 December. I, honestly, haven't had many problems with unexpected segfaults
31 on either Gentoo or Ubuntu, so I can't give any advice for that. As for the
32 speed issue, have you tried building KVM into the kernel or at least as a
33 mod?
34
35 - Matt