From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Annoying structure of /var/db/pkg/<category>/<package-name> database
Date: Fri, 10 May 2013 08:54:25
1 On Fri, 10 May 2013 02:59:55 +0000 (UTC), Thomas Mueller wrote:
2
3 I'm not sure why I'm posting this as you don't appear to bother with
4 reading replies - or do you expect us to CC them to you personally?
5
6 > Having package data in /var/db/pkg/<category>/<package-name> carries
7 > the nuisance factor that finding a package involves a fishing
8 > expedition through many possible categories.
9
10 You are using the wrong tool for the job. This is not how you find a
11 package in portage, you don't access the database directly. Portage
12 already provides tools for finding packages, such as the --search option
13 to emerge or eix (which is faster and more comprehensive).
14
15 > I am spoiled by having /var/db/pkg/<package-name> in NetBSD pkgsrc and
16 > FreeBSD ports, though FreeBSD is wsitching to a different structure
17 > nkwon as pkgng.
18
19 So they admit your suggested layout is not the best too?
20 >
21 > Is there any way to configure so as to avoid this annoyance in Gentoo?
22 > Like maybe making /var/db/pkg/<package-name>?
23
24 You have already been told why this is not possible.
28 Neil Bothwick
29
30 (A)bort (R)etry (S)ell it