From: Alexander Skwar <listen@×××××××××××××××.name>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] why firefox is so slow?
Date: Fri, 05 May 2006 06:55:03
1 lordsauronthegreat@×××××.com wrote:
2 > On Monday 01 May 2006 11:14 pm, Alexander Skwar wrote:
3 >> lordsauronthegreat@×××××.com wrote:
4 >> > On Sunday 30 April 2006 11:21 am, Alexander Skwar wrote:
5 >> >> Kesara Rathnayake wrote:
6 >> >> > I guess Firefox is slow now because of whole lot of Extentions that we
7 >> >> > used today.
8 >> >>
9 >> >> To find out, I asked OP to create a blank profile. I also assume
10 >> >> a local problem at his side. OP should simply create a new profile
11 >> >> and report back.
12 >> >>
13 >> >> Alexander Skwar
14 >> >>
15 >> >> PS: I begin to hate Googlemail because of the default to use HTML
16 >> >> even if it is not required. Sucks. Big time.
17 >> >
18 >> > I used the GMail web interface for a long time and it defaulted to plain
19 >> > text for me.
20 >>
21 >> This might be correct. However on new accounts, HTML is used.
22 >> If you don't believe me, simply create a new account, and you'll
23 >> see.
24 >
25 > I'm not contending with you there.
26
27 Well, but you are contradiciting what I say. So, yes, in a sense,
28 you ARE contending with me.
29
30 >> >> Another thing that sucks, is that HTML mails are permitted on this
31 >> >> list. Why not just dump the HTML part (and every other attachment)?
32 >> >
33 >> > Why not,
34 >>
35 >> Makes mails larger, without adding anything useful (normally).
36 >> Further, it makes mails a bit harder to read and harder to
37 >> quote.
38 >
39 > At this point I'm inclined to think you're using an inferior mail client.
40
41 Aha, why's that?
42
43 > KMail works just fine with HTML. What are you using?
44
45 Thunderbird - as you can see in the header of my mails.
46
47 >> eg. the mail which I quoted: In HTML, it's about 1179 bytes. In
48 >> text/plain, it is 729 bytes. And actually, the HTML caused
49 >> overhead is even more, as the 2nd MIME part (the HTML part)
50 >> caused additional headers to be added. Those are an additional
51 >> 378 bytes.
52 >
53 > Yah, I agree with you that it's unnecessarily wasting space to use HTML.
54 > That's why I don't use it. However, I don't think it's right or polite to
55 > start harrassing people for using it.
56
57 Yes, it is. It is, as HTML posters are making other people receive
58 the HTML junk, even if those receivers do not want that. It's just
59 plain arrogant and, yes, it is most certainly okay to harras
60 arrogant egoists.
61
62 >> > if it irks you so much, make a script that will change RTF/HTML to
63 >> > Plaintext?
64 >>
65 >> That's not a useful advice. I'd have to accept the (normally)
66 >> uselessly bloated mail first and then strip it. Makes no sense.
67 >
68 > No, you're not thinking!
69
70 Yes, I am.
71
72 > The mailing list server receives a email in HTML.
73
74 That's not what you wrote. You suggested, that I make a script.
75 This script can only run on a system which I control.
76
77 > Convert the HTML to plaintext.
78
79 And overwrite a text/plain part?
80
81 Besides: See why it's arrogant of those HTML users to send mails
82 in HTML? They are making other people have to think about writing
83 programs, so that the mails can be converted.
84
85 That's not necessary if people would just use text/plain mails.
86
87 Alexander Skwar
88 --
89 No poet or novelist wishes he was the only one who ever lived, but most of
90 them wish they were the only one alive, and quite a number fondly believe
91 their wish has been granted.
92 -- W.H. Auden, "The Dyer's Hand"
93 --
94 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list