From: Dan Cowsill <danthehat@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Init Scripts Not Starting
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2012 03:17:12
1 On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 8:53 AM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2
3 > On Wed, 4 Jan 2012 06:53:18 -0800, Dan Cowsill wrote:
4 >
5 > > Running rc or rc default returns immediately. I am sure I am starting
6 > > into the default runlevel because ntp-client runs on default and it
7 > > starts no problem.
8 >
9 > Have you enabled logging in rc.conf? What does /var/log/rc.log show?
12 I have indeed. The logs show that everything but xdm and
13 virtualbox-guest-additions start normally. The logs do not show any
14 attempt to start either of those. It seems this system is full of lies.
15
16 Did you check the file permissions on those scripts?
19 I have. Permissions in the /etc/init.d folder are consistent across the
20 board.
21
22 If anything else, you can try running 'strace -e trace=file' on
23 > rc-status and rc-update show and might notice something there that would
24 > explain while those two tools come up with different sets of scripts...
27 I've attached the strace results from rc-status, rc-update show and rc
28 itself. If you guys can make any sense of them, I'd be grateful.

rc-status-strace application/octet-stream
rc-strace application/octet-stream
rc-update-show-strace application/octet-stream