From: YoYo Siska <yoyo@××××××.sk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Init Scripts Not Starting
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2012 18:52:01
1 On Wed, Jan 04, 2012 at 07:10:07PM -0800, Dan Cowsill wrote:
2 > On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 8:53 AM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3 >
4 > > On Wed, 4 Jan 2012 06:53:18 -0800, Dan Cowsill wrote:
5 > >
6 > > > Running rc or rc default returns immediately. I am sure I am starting
7 > > > into the default runlevel because ntp-client runs on default and it
8 > > > starts no problem.
9 > >
10 > > Have you enabled logging in rc.conf? What does /var/log/rc.log show?
13 > I have indeed. The logs show that everything but xdm and
14 > virtualbox-guest-additions start normally. The logs do not show any
15 > attempt to start either of those. It seems this system is full of lies.
16 >
17 > Did you check the file permissions on those scripts?
20 > I have. Permissions in the /etc/init.d folder are consistent across the
21 > board.
22 >
23 > If anything else, you can try running 'strace -e trace=file' on
24 > > rc-status and rc-update show and might notice something there that would
25 > > explain while those two tools come up with different sets of scripts...
28 > I've attached the strace results from rc-status, rc-update show and rc
29 > itself. If you guys can make any sense of them, I'd be grateful.
30
31 Seems that rc-status sees the xdm initscript... but why doesn't it
32 show it then... no idea...
33
34 My advice would be to submit a bug, the inconsistent output from
35 rc-status vs rc-update is suspicious enough...
36
37 You might also try to re-emerge the packages that installs
38 /etc/init.d/xdm to see if that doesn't help... (should be
39 x11-base/xorg-server)
40
41 yoyo