From: gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] All Gentoo signing key expired and no way to fix it
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2018 18:40:41
1 2018-07-04 21:00 GMT+03:00 Jack <ostroffjh@×××××××××××××××××.net>:
2 > On 2018.07.04 13:38, gevisz wrote:
3 >>
4 >> 2018-07-03 16:22 GMT+03:00 Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o>:
5 >> > Ühel kenal päeval, T, 03.07.2018 kell 14:00, kirjutas gevisz:
6 >>>>
7 >>>> Are you, by any chance, running this command through something like
8 >>>> lxc-attach or ssh?
9 >>>>>
10 >>>>> I had the exact same problem two days ago and it turned out to be
11 >>>>> something about the environment being passed to the remote system. Sourcing
12 >>>>> /etc/profile did the trick.
13 >>>>
14 >>>> No, I do it on my desktop staying just in front of me. So, no need for
15 >>>> ssh (and I do not know what lxc-attach is at all).
16 >>
17 >> >>
18 >> >> Still, sourcing /etc/profile somehow helped:
19 >> >
20 >> > How do you obtain root privileges for the command?
21 >>
22 >> su
23 >>
24 >>> If you use su, you should be using "su -" (or "su -l" or "su --login"),
25 >>> not "su".
28 >> I have used only "su" for already 3 years, since switched to Gentoo from
29 >> Ubuntu and never had any problems with it.
30 >>
31 >> Could you explain a little bit more why "su -" should be used instead.
32 >
33 > It's not so much needing the root environment, it's that sometimes things in
34 > your own environment cause problems if not removed when emerge runs. There
35 > is another recent thread about emerge (nodejs) failing because of sandbox
36 > violations due to some XDG variable causing an install script to try writing
37 > to somewhere it would not have it the environment had been properly
38 > sanitized. Note I consider this a general precaution, it may or may not be
39 > relevant for the subject of this thread. The problems caused by this issue
40 > are indeed infrequent and sporadic, so it's not surprising that you have not
41 > run into any of them. It seems to be related to the details in some
42 > ebuilds.
43
44 Ok, got it. Thank you for the explanation.
45
46 >> From the man page I've got the following:
47 >>
48 >> -, -l, --login
49 >> Provide an environment similar to what the user would expect had
50 >> the user logged in directly.
51 >>
52 >> But I cannot see why I need the original root environment, especially if I
53 >> never set it up.
54 >
55 > That's partly the point - the root environment is generally much more empty
56 > than that of your usual user.
57 >
58 >> > If you use sudo, you might need to pass -i (--login) option to it.
59 >>
60 >> I hate using sudo since I have been forced to use it in Ubuntu.
61 >
62 > I almost never used sudo when I used Ubuntu. I used su or logged in as root
63 > when necessary.
64
65 It is quite strange because, when I used Ubuntu, it had no root account,
66 and so, everybody was forced to use sudo to get root privileges.