From: Jerry McBride <mcbrides9@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Upgrading the kernel
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2007 02:57:33
1 On Monday 01 October 2007 10:19:57 pm Jed R. Mallen wrote:
2 > Do you guys have a trick that will update a new kernel quickly? I'm using
3 > 2.6.21-gentoo-r4 right now, and have foregone upgrading to 2.6.22-gentoo-r5
4 > and -r8 because I read somewhere that I can't just use my old .config file
5 > for a new kernel version if it's *not* a revision-upgrade and I can only
6 > upgrade safely between 2 revisions.
7 >
8 > I don't want to go through all those kernel settings one by one. Do you
9 > just remember a few key things that you need (framebuffer, video, usb, etc)
10 > and just use the default settings?
13 You really don't know what you're missing. :')
14
15 Seriously, just print out your old config, key it into menconfig... tweak it a
16 bit and compile it... Then test it by rebooting into the new kernel...
17
18 Painless, safe... easy.
24 From the Desk of: Jerome D. McBride
25 --