From: Dan Farrell <dan@×××××××××.cx>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] A DNS question.
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2007 20:54:50
1 On Sat, 3 Mar 2007 11:17:52 -0800
2 "Bob Young" <RKY@×××××.Net> wrote:
3
4 > This isn't strictly a Gentoo question, but I'm setting up Gentoo box
5 > to be used as a secondary DNS server, plus some other duties, and I'm
6 > hoping there is a DNS wizard reading who can authoritatively answer
7 > my question.
8 >
9 > First off the machine has three network cards, one with a (DHCP)
10 > private IP (10.10.32.1) for talking to the local (Windows Domain)
11 > LAN. A second NIC with a (Manually configured) IP address
12 > (69.12.134.79) that is publicly registered (ns.debug1.com) as a
13 > secondary DNS for several domains. And the third NIC has a (Manually
14 > configured) private IP address (192.168.0.1) that will be used to
15 > "sniff" all traffic that crosses the DSL modem.
16 >
17 > Obviously on a given system each NIC is usually connected to a
18 > different domain, my question is, whether or not it
19 > is /legal/possible/okay to use different *hostnames* on different
20 > NICs?
21 >
22 > For example, in the scenario described above, assume the windows
23 > domain is named "mydomain.lan," can I have 69.12.134.79 (NIC #2)
24 > resolve to ns.debug1.com as that is it's publicly registered name,
25 > while IP address 10.10.32.1 (NIC #1) resolves to gentoo.mydomain.lan?
26 >
27 > TIA
28 > Bob Young
29 > San Jose, CA.
32 If your question is whether you can use multiple names in DNS, I
33 believe you can. However, Im not sure they all can be A records -- you
34 might need to use CNAME records instead. Also, you may or may not need
35 PTR records to the ip from the various names. Different ip addresses
36 usually deserve/get their own name, and this is appropriate. IF you
37 want to have all 3 ip addresses have the same hostname, that should be
38 ok too, but whether that's a reasonable way of doing things is
39 questionable.
40 --
41 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list