From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] recommendation for a router/WAP
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2012 07:49:51
1 On Thu, February 2, 2012 2:08 am, Allan Gottlieb wrote:
2 > I have a linksys wrt54G that is acting a little funny.
3 >
4 > Since my new laptop supports 1Gig wired ethernet and the wrt is 100Meg,
5 > I should upgrade even if the "funny" turns out to be just a config error
6 > on my laptop.
7 >
8 > This is a home system.
9 >
10 > My requirements are modest.
11 >
12 > 1. >= 4 wired ethernet ports for systems/devices (at least 1 port 1Gig)
13 > 2. Wireless access point 802.11 b/g (n would be nice; a ok)
14 > 3. dhcp (with settable addresses see below*)
15 > 4. Availability in U.S.
16 >
17 > * I am actually running the so-called "tomato firmware". The std
18 > firmware did not let me set specific dhcp addresses for specific
19 > sources. This is important to me. My laptop is 192.168.1.70, one
20 > printer is .50, the other .55, two other laptops are .72, and .75.,
21 > Hence an /etc/hosts file lets each machine access the others by name
22 >
23 > My isp cablevision/optonline provides a modem with a wired ethernet
24 > port. The router/wap should have an ethernet port (beyond the 4 above)
25 > to accept the modem output (I realize it is all bidirectional).
26 >
27 > Suggestions?
28
29 Not sure about availability, but Draytek has some nice routers with
30 GB-ports (also on the WAN side)
31 They also support VLANS and different IP-ranges per port.
34 Joost