From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Memory cards and deleting files.
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2020 10:28:42
1 On Sun, 21 Jun 2020 12:52:43 +0100, Michael wrote:
2
3 > > > PS. exFAT has made it into the latest Linux kernels.
4 > >
5 > > Great. So linux may be able to read the card just fine, but it's still
6 > > useless in the device I bought it for ... :-)
7 > >
8 > > Cheers,
9 > > Wol
10 >
11 > Ha! The beauty of MSWindows! You're right, Win10 will refuse to
12 > format a partition as FAT32 if it is >=32G, it only offers exFAT on
13 > removable devices. Less than that size it will offer NTFS, FAT and
14 > FAT32 as options.
15
16 The SD standard says >33G should use exFAT, this is why many devices
17 state they only support cards up to 32G. The really mean they only
18 support FAT. My Dashcam is like this but it happily works with a 128G
19 card, once I reformatted it with FAT.
23 Neil Bothwick
24
25 Memory Map - A sheet of paper showing location of computer store.