From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo LVM Newbie Question
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 00:03:16
1 On Thursday 23 February 2006 17:29, "CR Little" <crlittle@××××××××××.com>
2 wrote about 'RE: [gentoo-user] Gentoo LVM Newbie Question':
3 > Apparently when I created my first drive pv. I missed something as well
4 >
5 > I have /dev/sda8-14 which are not set allocatable
6 > I ran pvchange and got the following results.
7 > pvchange -x y /dev/sda8 /dev/sda9 /dev/sda10 /dev/sda11 /dev/sda12
8 > /dev/sda13 /dev/sda14
9 > Allocatability not supported by orphan lvm2 format PV /dev/sda8
10 > Allocatability not supported by orphan lvm2 format PV /dev/sda9
11 > Allocatability not supported by orphan lvm2 format PV /dev/sda10
12 > Allocatability not supported by orphan lvm2 format PV /dev/sda11
13 > Allocatability not supported by orphan lvm2 format PV /dev/sda12
14 > Allocatability not supported by orphan lvm2 format PV /dev/sda13
15 > Allocatability not supported by orphan lvm2 format PV /dev/sda14
16 > 0 physical volumes changed / 7 physical volumes not changed
17 >
18 > Any help in getting these partitions to allocate would help. It's about
19 > 130Gigs of space.
20
21 They are orphans, meaning not in a volume group, so they can't be
22 allocatable. (Space is always allocated out of a volume group.)
23
24 You probably want to vgextend vg /dev/sda[89] /dev/sda1[0-4] before your
25 pvchange command.
28 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.
29 bss03@××××××××××.com
30 ICQ: 514984 YM/AIM: DaTwinkDaddy