From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Should we NEVER do an ``emerge -u world''?
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 20:57:36
1 On Wednesday 27 September 2006 13:04, sdoma <sdoma@××××××××.cz> wrote
2 about 'Re: [gentoo-user] Should we NEVER do an ``emerge -u world''?':
3 > I've tried to get documentoin for Tcl/tk, put 'doc' into the package.use
4 > for these files and re-emerged tcl and tk (BTW: no docs for these
5 > packages came up).
6
7 What do you mean came up? The doc USE-flag doesn't add to the output of
8 the emerge (generally) and certainly isn't going to open some window with
9 documentation in it! You can use equery to see what files a package
10 installed but, generally, docs are installed to /usr/share/docs
11
12 > emerge told me, that there is a new version of
13 > portage available and that it is HIGHLY recommended to upgrade portage.
14 > I did so and 87 packages where upgraded
15
16 So, you think "upgrade portage" means to execute "emerge -u world"? That's
17 wrong, and you would have known that if you'd have read the documentation.
18
19 > amongst this glibc to 2.4, what
20 > hurts me now because I planned to install Oracle, which requires
21 > glibc2.3.
22
23 Well, emerge does provide -p (--pretend) and -a (--ask) options so that you
24 can see what changes it suggests. Portage also
25 reads /etc/portage/package.mask to determine your local preferences for
26 what not to install.
27
28 > Seems x86 or ~x86 doesn't make much a difference. I reinstalled the
29 > system not so long ago with x86 fo this reason.
30
31 That true, with the new gcc being stable, the new glibc has become stable.
32 ~x86 got this upgrade before x86, but even x86 gets upgrades from time to
33 time.
34
35 > I remember the same problems a couple of times in the past. /etc/fstab
36 > was "upgraded" to the initial one (the one with /dev/BOOT and dev/ROOT
37 > inside resulting in a not booting system),
38
39 By, default that file in is a CONFIG_PROTECT-ed directory, which means
40 portage will not overwrite it.
41
42 You have either (a) CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK-ed that directory (a horrible idea)
43 or (b) explicitly *told* etc-update, dispatch-conf, or some other
44 configuration file management tool to replace your old version; that tool
45 just did what you told it to.
46
47 > networking stopped working
48 > letting me on my own, stopping hotplug (and historical
49 > coldplug-nonsense) functionality, udev.rules where replaced by some
50 > initial one for a syntax change in udev
51
52 All of these sound like you made some mistake when managing your
53 configuration files. Perhaps by using the -5 option in etc-update, an
54 almost universally bad idea. It is available because it might be useful
55 to people who read the documentation.
56
57 > Just a minor thing, before I realized the USB problem, I was working on
58 > 'localhost:unknown-domain' after the "upgrade".
59
60 Again, sounds like a run with etc-update, although it might be related to
61 some of the changes in how your hostname and domainname are set.
62
63 > I'm really sick of solving the same problems again and again. Seems
64 > Gentoo is a system for students not needing their comps to be working.
65
66 Odd. I've been running testing (~ARCH) Gentoo since the 2004.3 release,
67 and I don't get that impression. There are some things that need to be
68 fixed. The way package configuration is done is not one of them.
69
70 > For me it looks at this point like: "Every other distribution is a
71 > better choice for somebody who needs his machine for work". I don't like
72 > to say that, but this is my expirience. :(
73
74 I'm sorry your Gentoo doesn't work the way you expect right now. If you'd
75 like, I can help your fix your issues, although it may take some time, and
76 it will definitely both effort and care on your part. Hopefully, we'll
77 also learn how to prevent those issues from reoccurring.
78
79 We might even find things Gentoo can do better, but be prepared to defend
80 any proposed changes and also realize that all the developers are
81 volunteers so no one can force them to implement any change.
82
83 > PS: X-cuse me top-posting. This is a really exportant issue, and I'm
84 > disturbing it. ;-(
85
86 I'm not sure what this is supposed to mean, but when using your mailer
87 (Evolution, I think) there's no excuse for top-posting.
88
89 > PS 2: Co work with LFS! They have the same target (get people to know
90 > the functionality of Linux).
91
92 That's not Gentoo's goal. Gentoo's goal (if there is a single goal) is to
93 be a tool instead of a mindset. Do do what you want and get out of the
94 way.
95
96 > I'll install some working distro which is
97 > conform with other POSIX compliant systems
98
99 Like Gentoo?
102 "If there's one thing we've established over the years,
103 it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest
104 clue what's best for them in terms of package stability."
105 -- Gentoo Developer Ciaran McCreesh