From: sdoma <sdoma@××××××××.cz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Should we NEVER do an ``emerge -u world''?
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 18:19:26
1 I've tried to get documentoin for Tcl/tk, put 'doc' into the package.use
2 for these files and re-emerged tcl and tk (BTW: no docs for these
3 packages came up). emerge told me, that there is a new version of
4 portage available and that it is HIGHLY recommended to upgrade portage.
5 I did so and 87 packages where upgraded, amongst this glibc to 2.4, what
6 hurts me now because I planned to install Oracle, which requires
7 glibc2.3.
8 Seems x86 or ~x86 doesn't make much a difference. I reinstalled the
9 system not so long ago with x86 fo this reason.
10
11 I remember the same problems a couple of times in the past. /etc/fstab
12 was "upgraded" to the initial one (the one with /dev/BOOT and dev/ROOT
13 inside resulting in a not booting system), networking stopped working
14 letting me on my own, stopping hotplug (and historical
15 coldplug-nonsense) functionality, udev.rules where replaced by some
16 initial one for a syntax change in udev (using ``sed'' would be a better
17 choice here) ...
18
19 Just a minor thing, before I realized the USB problem, I was working on
20 'localhost:unknown-domain' after the "upgrade".
21
22 I'm really sick of solving the same problems again and again. Seems
23 Gentoo is a system for students not needing their comps to be working.
24
25 For me it looks at this point like: "Every other distribution is a
26 better choice for somebody who needs his machine for work". I don't like
27 to say that, but this is my expirience. :((((((((((((((
28
29 Regards
30 Frank
33 PS: X-cuse me top-posting. This is a really exportant issue, and I'm
34 disturbing it. ;-(
35
36 PS 2: Co work with LFS! They have the same target (get people to know
37 the functionality of Linux). I'll install some working distro which is
38 conform with other POSIX compliant systems ... with a tear in my