From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Should we NEVER do an ``emerge -u world''?
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 21:46:58
1 Hi Frank,
2
3 On Wednesday 27 September 2006 19:04, sdoma wrote:
4
5 > I've tried to get documentoin for Tcl/tk, put 'doc' into the package.use
6 > for these files and re-emerged tcl and tk (BTW: no docs for these
7 > packages came up).
8
9 A search in Gmane on this ML, or the Gentoo forums will provide you with an
10 answer and a way forward for this problem (I'm not using it myself so I am
11 not sure what the answer is).
12
13 > emerge told me, that there is a new version of
14 > portage available and that it is HIGHLY recommended to upgrade portage.
15
16 Yes, it is generally good practice to upgrade portage when it tells you to do
17 so.
18
19 > I did so and 87 packages where upgraded, amongst this glibc to 2.4, what
20 > hurts me now because I planned to install Oracle, which requires
21 > glibc2.3.
22
23 There was a recent update of gcc and glibc and there have been detailed
24 instructions on the gentoo documentation (gcc), on this ML (both gcc & glibc)
25 and the forums. With regards to Oracle, you may need to temporarily upgrade
26 to an unstable package while devs catch up with the upgraded system tools -
27 search the ML and forums because I'm afraid do not use Oracle to know what's
28 the solution with this problem.
29
30 > Seems x86 or ~x86 doesn't make much a difference. I reinstalled the
31 > system not so long ago with x86 fo this reason.
32
33 It does make a difference if you update often (on average you will be emerging
34 many more packages running a ~ARCH). Less so if you update once in a blue
35 moon. Also, a stable system is <aheam> 'stable'? Well, most of the time it
36 is more stable than running on the bleeding edge.
37
38 > I remember the same problems a couple of times in the past. /etc/fstab
39 > was "upgraded" to the initial one (the one with /dev/BOOT and dev/ROOT
40 > inside resulting in a not booting system), networking stopped working
41 > letting me on my own, stopping hotplug (and historical
42 > coldplug-nonsense) functionality, udev.rules where replaced by some
43 > initial one for a syntax change in udev (using ``sed'' would be a better
44 > choice here) ...
45
46 No critical configuration files are blindly updated/upgraded. I do not know
47 of /etc/fstab ever being updated automatically without first *asking* you
48 what you want to do. etc-update, dispatch-conf et al will always ask what to
49 do with /etc/fstab (unless you have tweaked the list of directories/files
50 that they are checking).
51
52 > Just a minor thing, before I realized the USB problem, I was working on
53 > 'localhost:unknown-domain' after the "upgrade".
54
55 /etc/conf.d/net changed as part of a new baselayout upgrade.
56
57 > I'm really sick of solving the same problems again and again. Seems
58 > Gentoo is a system for students not needing their comps to be working.
59 >
60 > For me it looks at this point like: "Every other distribution is a
61 > better choice for somebody who needs his machine for work". I don't like
62 > to say that, but this is my expirience. :((((((((((((((
63
64 I actually do use my machine for work. I upgrade little and often (every 2-3
65 days), except for big system upgrades which I save for the weekend just in
66 case things go tits-up. I have broadly found Gentoo's updates and upgrades
67 when managed intelligently to be less disruptive than re-installing afresh
68 Fedora, or SUSE every six months (I haven't tried other distros).
69 Furthermore the choice of Gentoo applications and their ability to
70 intelligently handle a plethora of dependencies makes it much easier to run
71 an updated machine, than at least the other two distros I have just
72 mentioned.
73
74 > Regards
75 > Frank
76 >
77 > PS: X-cuse me top-posting. This is a really exportant issue, and I'm
78 > disturbing it. ;-(
79
80 Until people eventually give up trying to help you.
81
82 > PS 2: Co work with LFS! They have the same target (get people to know
83 > the functionality of Linux). I'll install some working distro which is
84 > conform with other POSIX compliant systems ... with a tear in my
85 > eye. :((((((((((((
86
87 The Gentoo meta-distribution provides greater freedom of choice in shaping
88 your system to your preferences. The trade-off is the user time that needs
89 to be invested in implementing it. On the other hand if one of the numerous
90 distros offered by the wider Linux community fits your needs better straight
91 out of the box - then go for it! WRT your comment on LFS, I would not think
92 that Gentoo's primary driver is the same like LFX, although greater knowledge
93 of Linux and Gentoo is a much welcomed side effect (at least by some of us ;)
94 --
95 Regards,
96 Mick