From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] About to have fiber internet and need VPN info
Date: Sat, 06 Aug 2022 12:43:27
1 On Saturday, 6 August 2022 12:08:30 BST Dale wrote:
2 > Dale wrote:
3 > > Michael wrote:
4 > >> On Saturday, 6 August 2022 07:07:26 BST Dale wrote:
5 > >>> Well, that settles that then. I guess it will be Surfshark. Pretty
6 > >>> sure it is in the Netherlands but may be wrong on country. I just
7 > >>> recall it being outside US jurisdiction. I also read they have been
8 > >>> audited by independent people to ensure they have no logs even if asked.
9 > >>
10 > >> Surfshark gets good reviews and it offers the wireguard protocol with the
11 > >> ChaCha20 cipher for better encryption and performance. However, the
12 > >> Netherlands is part of the EU and 14 eyes, so I would think similar state
13 > >> powers exist to access your private communications and the ISPs would
14 > >> have no way of refusing and staying in business. Surfshark offers a
15 > >> warrant canary, but it looks more like a marketing statement to me when
16 > >> you compare it to something like the Qubes digitally signed canaries.
17 > >
18 > > I forgot about the 14 eyes thing. Do you know of one outside that that
19 > > is good? The bad thing about most, they are pricey if done by the month
20 > > for testing. You only get a good deal if you subscribe for a year or
21 > > even two years. I don't want to subscribe and then find out it is a bad
22 > > one.
23 > >
24 > > Dale
25 > >
26 > > :-) :-)
27 >
28 > I did a quick google search and Surfshark is based in British Virgin
29 > Islands and is outside the eyes countries. I was thinking it was
30 > Netherlands but wasn't sure.
31
32 You were thinking correctly at the start. Surfshark is located in the
33 Netherlands since 2018 and has been bought out by Nord Security, who owns
34 NordVPN.
37 > When I searched for VPN outside 14 eyes
38 > country, Surfshark is highly rated. Depending on the site, it's in the
39 > top few each time.
40 >
41 > https://earthweb.com/vpn-outside-14-eyes/
42 >
43 > https://www.privateproxyguide.com/best-vpn-outside-14-eyes/
44 >
45 > Unless there is some good reason to avoid, still thinking of using it.
46
47 The more you try to escape the 14 eyes Big Brother, the closer you may fall
48 into the hands of various authoritarian regimes. LOL! Even VPNs like NordVPN
49 which operates within the jurisdiction of Panama (let's not forget it is
50 Langley's doorstep), it also has offices in the UK, Netherlands and Lithuania.
51 I wonder why . . .
52
53 Total privacy on the Internet is improbable. If your only concern is to
54 retain your privacy from your ISP with regards to your Internet connections,
55 then most/any VPN service will offer this benefit by obfuscating your IP
56 address. Your browsing patterns, browser User Agent, addons and umpteen other
57 OS and application fingerprints won't be obfuscated beyond the VPN server.
58 Therefore your identity can only be protected so much and no more.