From: James Ausmus <james.ausmus@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: device eth0 does not exist
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 2009 17:52:01
1 On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 2:40 AM, Cinder <cinder@××××××××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > Thanks. Depmod yielded no results. At least as far as I can tell. I tried
4 > with ...
5 >
6 > Code:
7 > # depmod -a ; depmod -e -F
8 >
9 > As I recall "Note: the kernel developers warn that you should not
10 > configure or compile your kernel as root." >->
11 > http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-539024.html And that "that there have
12 > been bugs in the build process which caused files in the /dev tree to be
13 > deleted if run as root"
14 >
15 > I remember distinctly configuring and compiling my kernels as root, but
16 > ...
17 >
18 > Code:
19 > $ make && make modules_install
20 > snip< (verbos output attached)
21 > rm: cannot remove `include/config/kernel.release': Permission denied
22 > make: *** [include/config/kernel.release] Error 1
23 > ... always failed. You always install as root right?
24 >
25 > So I just carried on compiling as root. Could this be part of the problem?
26 > Do I need to compile as user? I don't seem to be able.
29 No, the kernel should be configured/compiled as root. What is the output of:
30
31 uname -a
35 Thanks!
36