From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] urgent: udev-upgrade inhibits firmware upload (speedtouch-usb)
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2006 10:06:37
1 On Friday 01 December 2006 07:31, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
2 > Hi, I desparately need help!
3 >
4 > I have upgraded from udev-087-r1 to udev-103 (and from baselayout-1.12.5
5 > to 1.12.6)
6 >
7 > At rebooting (I have a speedtouch usb ADSL device) I get
8 > speedtch_find_firmware: no stage 1 firmware found
9 > (This is obviously a message from the speedtouch kernel
10 > module)
11 >
12 > Yes, speedtouch has to upload firmware to the device before
13 > I can use it. This has worked just fine before my upgrade to
14 > the new udev.
15 > And I've checked that the firmware is (still) in /lib/firmware.
16 > I've even reinstalled net-dialup/speedtouch-usb and net-dialup/ppp
17 > but nothing helps.
18 > I couldn't find anything in the Changelogs.
19 > I haven't changed my kernel (still 2.6.17-r8)
20
21 I'm afraid I can't help with this problem, but it seems to me that udev is not
22 as effective as coldplug was in bringing up devices at boot time. Not sure
23 if this is something to do with launch timing of udev and the device
24 driver(s) during boot, but my USB devices won't be picked up at boot since I
25 updated to udev-103. No problem with detection of USB devices *after* the
26 boot sequence has been completed. I am still looking for a solution to fix
27 this . . .
30 Regards,
31 Mick