From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Konsole, Gentoo and colors
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2008 18:10:58
1 On Tuesday 01 April 2008, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
2
3 > One of the things I don't like about black background is that on all
4 > monitors
5 > the background seems to "crowd" the glyphs -- the markings seems more
6 > slender than when the colors are reversed. With small fonts (I like
7 > high resolution settings for other reasons), this makes the lettering
8 > hard to read.
9
10 If you were using an oldish crt I would suggest that is "blooming" -
11 lots of white in the picture increase electron beam current which
12 enlarges the picture somewhat. Black backgrounds are in reverse. But
13 you are seeing this on lcds as well, so it looks like an "optical
14 illusion", like the old favourite of which line is longer:
15
16 <--------->
17 >---------<
18
19 Dunno what one can do about that it, it comes down to how the brain
20 decodes the signals on the optic nerve...
21
22 > > You seem to know what to do in most cases and how to achieve it, so
23 > > I don't know if my favourite colour schemes will help you much.
24 > > However, have you considered an eye test for colour sensitivity? A
25 > > large number of males are under-sensitive to certain colours and
26 > > it's apparently hard for the person to detect it in themselves.
27 >
28 > I'm glad it seems so, since I teach computer science at the
29 > university level. :o)
30 > But I was hoping to get samples and suggestions of how others have
31 > dealt with this. I've been muttering under my breath about this for
32 > a few years now and I thought it likely that others may have taken
33 > action.
34 >
35 > As for vision: I have such an exam yearly. I always see the numerals
36 > in their
37 > samples, and nobody's ever mentioned color insensitivity.
38 > Nevertheless, it's possible it's vision-related since it works this
39 > way for me on all monitors, and
40 > in my work I see a lot of monitors.
41
42 Me too, and to me they all look more or less the same :-) In my case, I
43 have 7 years worth of fixing the things and critically examining the
44 display quality when calibrating and adjusting them. I've developed an
45 automatic gain control in my head that compensates for differences :-)
48 Alan McKinnon
49 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
52 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list