From: Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Konsole, Gentoo and colors
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2008 13:26:05
1 On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 11:45 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
2 wrote:
3
4 > On Monday 31 March 2008, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
5 > > I've always used Linux Colours, on crt and on lcd displays. Contrast
6 > > works fine for me. What display device do you use?
9 > > What do you mean about contrast?
10 > >
11 > > My gentoo is using a Westinghouse flat screen with mid-range
12 > > brightness and contrast.
13 >
14 > My question could have been clearer, I meant that the relative contrast
15 > between fore and background colours using Linux Colours is OK so I can
16 > see grey on black fine, and the difference between a colour and the
17 > same one bold is also obvious.
18 >
19 > I've used some cheaper crts that were just gross, and in the past found
20 > that the quality of LCDs were highly variable and mostly unrelated to
21 > price (this seems to have settled now though).
24 One of the things I don't like about black background is that on all
25 monitors
26 the background seems to "crowd" the glyphs -- the markings seems more
27 slender than when the colors are reversed. With small fonts (I like high
28 resolution settings for other reasons), this makes the lettering hard to
29 read.
32 > You seem to know what to do in most cases and how to achieve it, so I
33 > don't know if my favourite colour schemes will help you much. However,
34 > have you considered an eye test for colour sensitivity? A large number
35 > of males are under-sensitive to certain colours and it's apparently
36 > hard for the person to detect it in themselves.
39 I'm glad it seems so, since I teach computer science at the university
40 level. :o)
41 But I was hoping to get samples and suggestions of how others have dealt
42 with this. I've been muttering under my breath about this for a few years
43 now and I thought it likely that others may have taken action.
44
45 As for vision: I have such an exam yearly. I always see the numerals in
46 their
47 samples, and nobody's ever mentioned color insensitivity. Nevertheless, it's
48 possible it's vision-related since it works this way for me on all monitors,
49 and
50 in my work I see a lot of monitors.
51
52 ++ kevin