From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Getting around ancient SATA disk size limitations
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2012 14:43:43
1 On 18 June 2012, at 15:39, felix@×××××××.com wrote:
2 >> ...
3 >> It does bring to mind a question...when I went to put SATAII drives in
4 >> a SATA box, I needed to flip a jumper on the drive so that it would
5 >> operate at 1.5Gb/s instead of 3Gb/s. Felix, did you follow any
6 >> analogous steps for the 4TB drives?
7 >
8 > I don't remember seeing any jumpers at all. I'll take another look when I get back there.
9
10 With some drives this is done in software / firmware.
11
12 I think you mentioned these drives are Hitachi - previous models of their drives were set using their "Hard-drive Feature Tool" bootable CD (e.g. ftool_215.iso). This now appears to be obsolete, but they may offer a newer alternative.
13
14 From experience, if the motherboard / SATA controller is old enough you will *definitely* have to set the drives to 1.5Gb/s.
15
16 Stroller.